- This event has passed.
January 10, 2016 @ 8:00 am - 11:00 am$49
The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) is a United States federal law, enacted in 2004, that allows two classes of persons, the “Qualified Law Enforcement Officer” and the “Qualified Retired Law Enforcement Officer”, to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States, regardless of state or local laws, with certain exceptions.
If you are a “Qualified Retired Law Enforcement Officer”, you must qualify annually with a certified LEOSA instructor to legally carry a firearm nationwide under LEOSA. We offer flexible scheduling for LEOSA qualification and certifying documents. This course takes a minimum of 4 hours.
In order for a retired police officer to carry a concealed weapon in accordance with the provisions of the LEOSA and HR-218, you must meet the following:
- Have been regularly employed as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 10 or more years before honorably separating from service either due to retirement or a service connected disability;
- Separation may not be for mental instability;
- Had statutory power of arrest and was engaged in or supervised the prevention, detection, investigation or prosecution of, or incarceration of any person for violation of law.
- Not be under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance;
- Not be prohibited by Federal law from receiving or possessing a firearm;
- Possess an identification card issued by the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of the agency they separated from which meets the requirements of 501 CMR 13.00 STANDARDS FOR IDENTIFICATION CARDS FOR RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS.*
- Possess a LEOSA Training & Qualification Card issued pursuant to 515 CMR 6.00**. This card is issued upon completion of the LEOSA training and qualification requirements and must be conducted by LEOSA certified trainers using an approved classroom and qualification course.
(Note: BFS Instructor certification is separate and distinct from the LEOSA Instructor certification.)